Friday 9 January 2009

So what's in a name?

So - I've decided to add to the clutter on the world wide web by starting a personal blog. I have absolutely no idea what you may find here, time will tell!

The first hurdle was coming up with a name for the blog. Should it be a cool name, a sincere one, funny, or what? Several of my first ideas where already taken, then my eyes fell on the book on the table next to me.

So yes, I admit it, I nicked the name from John Lloyd & John Mitchinson's book "Advanced Banter: The QI Book of Quotations". It is a brilliant collection! I was planning to use it as reference to liven up papers and presentations, but I find myself browsing through it page after page.

I hope to live up the meaning of banter ("good-humored, playful conversation"), even if calling it advanced may be a bit of a stretch...

Today's favourite:

"Honest criticism is hard to take - especially when it comes from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."
(Franklin P. Jones)

So be kind!

/Kris

http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/what-s-name-that-which-we-call-rose

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QI-Advanced-Banter-Stephen-Fry/dp/0571233724/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231542805&sr=8-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_P._Jones

3 comments:

  1. Välkommen in i bloggträsket! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogging, Kristina! Now you have to keep writing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Välkommen i bloggänget!
    Coolt att skriva på engelska, det hade jag aldrig pallat =P
    Lycka till!

    ReplyDelete