Monday 18 May 2009

Guruji Sri K. Pattabhi Jois died today

It was announced today on the official website of the Ashtanga Yoga Reasearch Institute, http://www.ayri.org/ that Guruji died today, on May 18. My deepest condolences to his family, but also to all of us, his students, who lost an inspiring teacher today.

I have tried different types of yoga, and even though I find it physically challenging and I am far from a stellar student, Ashtanga yoga remains my favourite. I had the honour and joy to participate in a week-long work shop in Helsinki, 2006, held by Guruji and assisted by his daughter Saraswati and her son, Guruji's grandson Sharat, who now runs the institute in Mysore, India.

It was a challenging but very inspiring week, I worked better than ever under their guidance! We must have been at least 100 persons in the large hall, but great concentration and energy filled the room - amazing!
And I will of course always be grateful for making two new great friends that week, Tanja from Finland, and Yvonne, who had come all the way from Beijing to practice for Guruji!

Let me finish with one of my favourite sayings of Guruji:

"Do your practice, and all will follow."

Thank you, Guruji, for your inspiration!

/Kris C.

No comments:

Post a Comment